Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Men...What Are They Thinking?


I have been married a good while, over 20 years to be exact. And if I have learned one thing.... it is that men do NOT think like women!


This current holiday season is a good example-


Just the other day, my husband told me to pick up something that he could put a screwdriver in that he had bought his dad for Christmas.


I go, find an elongated gift bag, and proudly show it to him...he took one look and said, "I 'm not using that, it's for girls..."


What???? "Since when???" I ask him. He shrugged and said, "It just is, gift bags are for women.." Dear, this is not a purse, it is a GIFT bag for GIFTS! No matter, he wasn't going to use it. So, I guess he is on his own. I told him he should just wrap it in newspaper...for that masculine touch. (Or toilet paper!)


Then, we started discussing what else we should get his hard to buy for father. "How about a Lowe's hardware store gift certificate?" I suggest, knowing his dad is always working on a project of some kind around the house. Hubby makes a face and says , "That seems so cheesy to me, a Lowe's gift certificate. I was thinking about an Outback Steakhouse gift card."


"Errr, ummm, dear- isn't a gift card to the Outback Steakhouse the same thing? A gift card? What's the difference?"


He paused and said, " I guess there is none, it just seems better to me..."

I shrug and say, "oh well.."


Finally, he tells me when I get home that I am to call his mom by HER request and give her all our kid's sizes, what to get them for Christmas, but she absolutely won't buy any electronics or dvds of any kind, and would I please give her suggestions on what to buy my hubby and me?


I looked at him and said, "I am no longer doing that because I do it every year and she never likes what I suggest and I hate suggesting gifts for us anyway because I have no idea what price range they mean and I don't like asking for things from anyone but you dear. Besides, you don't call my parents up and give them suggestions- so why am I having to do this?" (I said it with a pleasant smile, mind you....)


To my embarrassment, he e-mails his mother instead of calling and tells her we have no ideas for the kids becasue all they want are electronic related items and we don't want anything because what we need is too expensive anyway! I told him his mom is going to think I put him up to saying that and he probably made her mad at him. He shrugged and said, "It won't be the first time I have made her mad..." (Sigh)


Well, I have to say this...it certainly makes things interesting to see the difference in the way men and women think. I think life would be dull indeed if we did think the same way, and I suppose just because you wouldn't do it that way doesn't mean his way is wrong...just a different approach.


Now please excuse me while I go see if he has let go of the t.v. remote yet.....(another male oddity I don't get...)



6 comments:

Lanyardlady said...

If anyone ever figures out the answer to that question, let me know! I've given up.

Chris said...

ROFL... oh you do make me laugh missus... I just love to come and see what has been happening in your world. I have laughed soooo much at the tale of your hubby... you are so right Men are a breed on their own ...heh heh heh... thanks for making my day!!
Hugs
Chris xx

p.s. your stories guarantee you entry to our club... there's a little something on my blog for you when you have time..lol

Anonymous said...

hahah funny stuff.i remember back.I was married longer than you. Almost 30 years.My husband has since passed away young of cancer.I think they all are the same ,LOL

Angela said...

That is so funny about the gift bags! I have never heard of that one! You should put all of his gifts in gift bags just to be funny!

Kristen H said...

I think I married a gay man, who loves to make love to a woman. He loves shopping, plays, opera, the ballet. He loves to eat salad and smell candles. Whewwww did I luck out or what??? He is the only one I have ever met though!!! I feel I won the jackpot. My dad is a Finnish Lumberjack, he is ALL male and only listens to every 5th word any woman says.

Sasaki Bags said...

Hi
I just stumbled upon your blog and it gave me a good giggle of the day. Thankyou!
Barb Sasaki
SasakiBags.blogspot.com