Friday, June 19, 2009

In Honor of Father's Day...

" He who is taught to live upon little owes more to his father's wisdom than he who has a great deal left him does to his father's care"- William Penn



I know not everyone has had a great father, and for that I am very saddened. I was fortunate to have been blessed with a terrific father, and for that I am truly thankful.

I can remember my dad coming home from work, (he worked at Chrysler). and he'd always wear these pocket T-shirts. When he'd come home, I'd often run to greet him at the door and he'd swoop me up and I'd hug him...while sneakily reaching down into his t-shirt pocket...where I knew he always carried a packet of Doublemint gum.

Dad never had a lot of money, but he made sure we had the most important things, like any kind of ice cream or special treat when we were sick... He'd take us as a family to church, and when we three siblings were young- up until our mid teen years- we sang gospel songs together at nursing homes. I think that is one reason today I am so fond of the elderly!

Dad always took us to lots of places for fun, but they weren't costly, he didn't have that kind of money. He and mom would pile us up in the pick up truck and we'd go to a school playground and have fun on the swings, or go to a park and play there. One of my favorite places was the A and W root beer stand- That is the only way I will drink root beer to this day, in a frosted mug at a stand. (Odd, huh?)

I can remember my teen years and going on dates...and going out the door one evening and having him say, "Better button that shirt up a few more ." Ok, Dad, I will...even though it was already up my neck as it was! :) Or the time a guy I dated hurt my feelings really badly and unbeknownst to me, Dad took him aside and had a "talk": with him. My Dad was and is a gentle spoken man , but whatever he said, that was the end of dating that guy! :)He told me before I got married that no dad really ever thinks the man his daughter marries is good enough for her. (I like to tell that one to my husband every once in awhile to tease him...

I want to say I am glad Dad has passed on to me is his sense of humor, and the importance of having a deep faith in God. My Dad jokes, teases, and laughs quite often. Not everyone appreciates humor, but I can relate to that too! I would rather laugh then cry or be crabby any day!

So, happy Father's Day to all, especially you Dad, and thanks for raising me to have fun in life! I am grateful! :)

No comments: