Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Is This You Too?


Ok, please tell me I am not the only one with this problem. ...

I think, "I am going to sit down and make such and such..." and I do sit down for awhile...but then I feel the need to get up and start on another task. And in the middle of that, I think of something else I have to do so I go do that . Pretty soon I have a bunch of almost done things...ha!

I do finish things, but in short blocks. I am not one to sit down and stay at something for hours on end...not even two hours on end, unless you are talking about sleeping!

I can't even sit down and watch a 2 hour movie without feeling the need to get up and go do something else for awhile. I wonder if it comes from just being a mom of four? When kids are little ( or even teens as mine are), you have to multi task all the time- maybe that is the reason, I trained myself to be that way!

At any rate, I have found a workable solution. I take the things I know I must get done, whether it be laundry, creating, cleaning the bathroom, etc. and I do it in spurts of a certain length. Let's say about a half hour-not too long, not too short to stay at something. Then, I "reward" myself by doing something that I like- read a book for 15 minutes or half hour, or go type on the computer (a real time eater if you let it!), go eat a cookie or drink some hot tea, go ride a bike around the block and back...you get the idea!
I think it's a good idea to have tasks that need getting done, but intersperse them with more likeable tasks so that you aren't doing it in a way that feels like drudgery. If you have a little reward here and there to indulge in, you are more likely to stay at it.

Now, I just looked at the clock and realized my time is up on the computer...better go and fold that laundry!

4 comments:

Denise said...

I can so relate! and I think it does come from having children! It's it amazing that the minute you put your butt down, someone thinks of something for you to do LOL
Hugs
Denise
oxoxox

Homemade Zen said...

yea sometimes I feel like I have to do something else too :-) It's hard to concentrate on one thing for so long, hehe.

Michelle Brunner said...

I am the same way! What a good idea to reward yourself! I am trying this..maybe it will help:)

Chriss Rollins said...

LOL, I can soo relate to going from one room to the other doing a bit in there and the same in another room... sometimes it can be the same with my crafting.
Lots of childhood memories with your dolls for me espially Snow White and the seven Dwarfs...My brother was in a school play many years ago and he would sing HI-HO etc over and over again... that must be 50yrs ago now...oh how time flys.
have a lovely weekend.
thanks for sharing your dolls.
chriss x