Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Just a Few Things I Have Learned So Far...


I admit I was a bit uncertain going into this selling and creating venture, but I am glad I did. I have learned a lot and I love going into other blogs and forums just to soak up some of the information and ideas that people have.


Now, I do not label myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination...but if you were to corner me and force me to share some of the things I have learned, I do have a small list of accumulated tidbits:


1. Be polite at all times and to everybody- that means no rude comments or snippiness to customers or in forum chats to fellow sellers (Remember that how you talk in public forums will reflect upon your business.)


2. Be patient, be patient, be patient.....Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will your business. It takes a while to let others know you are there...it takes time for the word to get out. Every connection you make, every sale to a satisfied customer is an opportunity for others to hear about you. (Word of mouth is one of the best ways to advertise!)


3. Don't cheapen your work by not pricing it where you are getting a fair compensation for your skill and time. You usually aren't helping yourself by having drastic reductions in your prices just to make a sale...


4. Keep track of your sales and costs etc... you will need good records for tax purposes!


5. Don't force creativity...if you hit a dry spell, walk away and do something else for awhile. It helps to get away and do something totally different until your creativity kicks back in.


Those are just a few things I have personally learned, and I am sure from time to time I will post more as the tidbits of wisdom as it comes to me...(smile) but in the meantime, I plan on being open to learning from my mistakes and hopefully become all the better for it!

No comments: